R5 automatic engine with R4 gearbox.

Moderators: R4F6GTX Automaat, Rik H., Mark4GTL, Nando

Plaats reactie
Roodini

R5 automatic engine with R4 gearbox.

Bericht: # 79948Bericht Roodini »

Hi, I have a problem with my R4GTL. The engine is a Type 847 R1229 1.4 from a R5 automatic. The problem is an oil leak from the camshaft. Has anyone else fitted an automatic engine to a manual gearbox and how did you fix this problem. The auto gearbox holds the bushes and seals for the auto engines camshaft and that is why it is leaking.
Any help would be appreciated, as would photos.
Sorry it's in English but my Dutch/Nederlands is niet zeer goed!

Rudi. :D
Willem de Zwijger

Bericht: # 79951Bericht Willem de Zwijger »

I have this engine mounted to a 5 gear manual gearbox. I wasn't sure about the condition of the camshaft seal at the time of the transplantation work, so I fitted a new seal as I couldn't see any seal there. It is very simple, you can just push it in over the shaft, an R4 (GTL or F6) seal will do.
Later on I got a book on the R5's before 1984, and I saw that there is a seal mounted quite deep, and you would need a special tool to get it out. So I think that I now have two seals there, but I'm not sure since I never saw the 'deep' seal.
I will see if I can find a photo for you.
By the way, how did you solve the problem of the camshaft being to long ?
Roodini

Bericht: # 79953Bericht Roodini »

Hi Willem, i've put a new seal over the camshaft but it seems that the opening around the camshaft is narrower than the one on the R4 engine?
Does it have to be forced in?
As for the camshaft being to long, I cut of the back of the pulley to bring it into line with the others, then fitted deeper washers on the front.

Rudi.
Rodeo-6
Contacteer:

Bericht: # 79954Bericht Rodeo-6 »

Roodini schreef: Does it have to be forced in?

Rudi.
Yes, and use some oil or grease on it
>> Doe mij maar een DAF <<
Plaats reactie